Many formalities have changed over the years, as well as who finances the wedding. Those responsible are no longer etched in stone. In these modern days, many couples are actually paying for their own wedding, but here is a list of the “traditional” roles that pay the expenses:
- The groom almost always bears the expense of the engagement ring and bride’s wedding ring. He also generally pays for the marriage license, honeymoon, his out of town guests lodging, the clergy fee, transportation, and a wedding gift for his future wife.
- The bride usually pays for the groom’s wedding ring, hotel rooms for her out of town guests, gifts for the bridesmaids, a luncheon or party for her bridesmaids, and a gift for her future husband.
- The parents of the bride pay for everything pertaining to the wedding ceremony and reception, including the venue fee, decorations, food, gratuities, DJ, bar costs, and anything else needed. They also buy their daughters bridal gown as well as a generous gift for the couple.
- The parents of the groom usually pay for the rehearsal dinner, as well as give an ample gift to the future husband and wife.
- The bridesmaids generally pay for the wedding shower and bachelorette party. They should also pay for their own bridesmaids gowns and accessories.
- The groomsmen pay for the bachelor party as well as their own tuxedos.